Home learning is designed to allow pupils to advance in their education by allowing them more in depth study through research tasks and to reinforce skills which have been introduced in lessons. At Sanders school students will be set home learning on a regular basis, every three to four lessons.
According to recommendations from the Department for Education, students should be spending the following length of time on their home learning:
Years 7 and 8: from 4 hours per week
Year 9: from 5 hours per week
Years 10 and 11: from 7.5 hours per week
Teaching staff record all home learning on Show My Homework. They log all tasks and deadlines along with guidance (where necessary) on how the work should be completed. Students can access this by clicking on the logo on the left.
The Role of Students
All students are expected to complete their homework tasks to the best of their ability and submit this to their teacher by the deadline.
Students are to ensure they understand each homework task before they begin each task. If they are unsure of the expectations of a homework task, they will actively ask their teacher for clarification.
The Role of Parents/Carers
Parents can support their child in the completion of their home learning activities by:
- Encourage your child to get into a regular pattern of study when they return home
- Encourage the completion of home learning when it is set and to manage their time effectively so as to avoid the build-up of tasks, which may have the same deadline
- Provide a reasonably peaceful, suitable place in which students can complete their home learning at home. If this is not possible, encourage your child to use the Bronte Centre to complete their home learning
- Encourage students to make the most of resources available at the school to support their extension work outside of the classroom.
- Make it explicit to students that, as parents, you value home learning and support the school’s policy on this
- Encourage students to proof read their homework to make any necessary improvements and praise them when they have completed their homework to the best of their ability
- Check the Show My Homework website on a regular basis to support your child in meeting the deadlines that they are set