School Rewards System
Rewards, Praise and Positive Recognition
We believe that praise and reward are great motivators in helping students to make positive choices about their behaviour and wider attitude to learning. We believe that all students should be rewarded for their good effort and achievement in all aspects of school life.
ALL rewards at Sanders should celebrate excellence or significant improvement in the following areas:
-Positive behaviour that enhances learning
-Work completed in class
-Contribution to the school and wider community
- Working as a team
How we Reward
Year Leaders will celebrate achievement, attendance and success at each and every assembly. The Pastoral team for each year group works with all staff to identify students worthy of praise or reward regularly basis. Certificates, rewards and postcards are given out to all year groups at least half-termly in assembly.
The following rewards are available for use by all staff:
- Rewards in class (recorded in SIMS)
- Verbal praise
- Written praise (note in exercise book / planner)
- Praise postcards (Departmental/Pastoral/HT)
- Telephone call home
- Letter home
- ‘Shout-outs’ or ‘Cause for Applause’ nominations for assembly
- Year 11 raffle-ticket rewards for dedication to intervention
- Personalised class reward systems that support the creativity and working environment of good and outstanding lessons
- Achievement points on SIMS
- Social media recognition
- Trips, visits and experiences
- Celebration assemblies - student nominations and awards
Alongside this, each HoY has their own dedicated plan for rewarding students in their year group
Additional Awards and Celebratory Events:
The following rewards are also regularly bestowed upon students who go the extra mile to support the work of the school and wider community, or who excel in working to be the best that they can be:
- The Jack Petchey Achievement Award: All students and staff will have the opportunity to place nominations for any member of the school community whom they consider to have deserved recognition for continued hard work or special achievement.
- Additional Rewards: In certain circumstances, staff can issue supplementary rewards. For example, departments may decide to run a competition where an extra reward or “prize” would be appropriate etc.
Sanders School delights in celebrating the achievements and endeavour of its students. The following events are celebratory highlights in the school year:
- Annual Sports Awards Evening: The P.E. department hosts an annual Sports Awards Evening to recognise the effort and achievement of students in sport.
Annual Awards Evening at Sanders School: The Annual Awards Evening is a much valued, key event in the calendar for celebrating students’ success. This will include awards for the following: Teamwork and Hard Work in subject areas, HoY Award and our special Sanders Draper Award.